You are not logged in.

Tuesday, July 29th 2014, 10:39am

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "firehands13" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jan 3rd 2009

Operating System:
Windows XP SP3

Saturday, January 10th 2009, 1:48am

Do you really need a firewall?

I am running Avira Premium with just the windows xp firewall, is that enough protection? I have never installed or used anything other than the windows firewall should i install another or upgrade to the Premium suite? It seems from what i have been reading here that the firewall causes a lot of headaches. If the answer is yes, please explain why.Thanks ahead of time everyone.

Date of registration:
Feb 18th 2006

Operating System:
XP SP3, Vista SP1, Kubuntu 9.04 and a heavily modified puppy on a stick!

Saturday, January 10th 2009, 3:35am

Hello,

There are many views on this but basically it boils down to the fact that the xp firewall only offers inbound protection. If you want to control which programs and processes connect out then you can do this with a two way firewall such as Avira's.

I'm sure others will comment on the advantages of two way firewall.

If you are considering the Suite, then there are other features that you can compare here, and I haven't had any headaches with the firewall ;)

Cheers,

Steve

redwolfe_98

Community member

Date of registration:
Nov 14th 2006

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Win XPsp3

Saturday, January 10th 2009, 4:40am

if you ask "do you need a firewall", the answer is yes.. if you ask do you need a firewall other than the "windows firewall", the answer is no.. it would be a matter of personal preference, if you wanted to use a different firewall..

the "windows firewall" is a good firewall, but, like stevesstrat said, it does not have "outbound protection", which means, for example, that if a trojan, on your computer, tried to "phone home", you would not get a alert for that, since, with the windows firewall, you would not have outbound protection..

having outbound protection is not mandatory.. having inbound protection, like what you get with the "windows firewall", is mandatory..

i have not tried using avira's firewall, but i do use another third-party firewall.. the reason that i use a third-party firewall is not because i am concerned about having outbound protection, but because i like using custom firewall-rules, and the firewall that i use allows you to use custom rules.. i use the old kerio firewall.. many of the new-fangled firewalls, today, offer some "HIPS"-type protection.. i can see a benefit to that, as long as the firewalls didn't cause problems, at the same time..

again, it is a matter of personal preference.. it is important to use some firewall, but it is your choice as to which firewall you want to use.. if you are using the "windows firewall", that will suffice..
win xpsp3, "windows firewall", avira antivirus pro, SSM, RegDefend

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "redwolfe_98" (Jan 10th 2009, 4:42am)

Date of registration:
Jan 3rd 2009

Operating System:
Windows XP SP3

Saturday, January 10th 2009, 5:03pm

If i update to the Premium suite do i need to disable the windows firewall? I am also using a wireless modem and i assume it has a built in firewall as well, do i need to alter it any? Thanks.

redwolfe_98

Community member

Date of registration:
Nov 14th 2006

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Win XPsp3

Saturday, January 10th 2009, 11:28pm

if you are going to use the avira/antivir firewall, yes, you should disable the "windows firewall".. it is not good to have two firewalls, running together, in realtime..

it is possible that, when you install the antivir suite, it will automatically disable the "windows firewall"..
win xpsp3, "windows firewall", avira antivirus pro, SSM, RegDefend

Date of registration:
Jan 3rd 2009

Operating System:
Windows XP SP3

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 12:03am

Thanks redwolfe 98 for the info. From South Carolina...I hear ya...me to.

Date of registration:
Feb 18th 2006

Operating System:
XP SP3, Vista SP1, Kubuntu 9.04 and a heavily modified puppy on a stick!

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 1:18am

Hello,

Just to confirm that you will be asked if you wish to disable the windows firewall on installing Avira's and if you choose yes it will be automatically done.

Cheers,

Steve

Date of registration:
Jan 3rd 2009

Operating System:
Windows XP SP3

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 1:52am

Thanks for the info Steve.

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 4:02pm

you should use a firewall other than windows firewall.. it will not pass all leak tests.. if you're just using antivir premium, i think you should upgrade to the premium security suite.. you can use you're license key in the suite for its remaining term.. avira's firewall is very easy to configure.. and it will give you confidence that you're pc is safe..unlike using the default firewall, it will ask you whether to allow these processes or softwares an outbound connection, which you do not get in the default firewall.. btw, i'm not using avira's firewall for i want one which you can customize and add IP address blocklist for my P2P programs.. nonetheless, the premium security suite is a better protection than just the premium antivir. aside from the firewall, you are also protected against webrobots, it does have its game mode and back-up, and the anti-phishing module.. :)
pgm :thumbsup:

Date of registration:
Jan 3rd 2009

Operating System:
Windows XP SP3

Sunday, January 11th 2009, 4:23pm

Thanks peegee15.

Date of registration:
May 22nd 2006

Operating System:
XP

Monday, January 12th 2009, 2:03pm

RE: Do you really need a firewall?

I am running Avira Premium with just the windows xp firewall, is that enough protection?

Hi,
That depends. If you are in a home network, behind a properly set firewall, your setup is enough. However, if your computer is visible from the internet a true firewall is recommended.
Nicolae Moldoveanu
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG