You are not logged in.

Wednesday, April 16th 2014, 6:34pm

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "sai7sai" started this thread

Date of registration:
Apr 25th 2009

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 6:49am

Avira Antivirus Premium 2012 cannot install on Windows XP 32-bit SP2

I want to upgrade Avira AntiVir Premium 10 to Avira Antivirus Premium 2012, I cannot do it successfully, it displays "Avira Antivirus Premium 2012 requires at least Windows XP 32-bit SP3...". I don't know why it cannot support Windows XP 32-bit SP2. :( :( :(

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 9:17am

Hi sai7sai,

Avira supports all operating systems 12 months longer, as a rule, than the producer of the operating system (Avira Product Lifecycle).
The support from Microsoft for Windows XP SP2 ended July 13, 2010. Also, to ensure that you will receive all important security updates for Windows you need to upgrade to Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or later versions such as Windows 7.

Keep in mind the an outdated operating system represents a security risk to the user.

Marco
| :: RU | EN | PT-BR | ZH-CN | ZH-TW ::

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 9:19am

well these are the system requirements.
It is always recommended to use an update system. A virus protection is only a part of your computer security. another important thing is to keep your compter up to date.

too late ;)

north450

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 19th 2006

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 10:17pm

tried upgrading to xp sp3 and there were problems since my processor is AMD64
contacted microsoft and they advised me to reinstall windows.
and not install sp3
some people are having issues with that.

Leo 2005 says it is always recommended to use an update system.
agreed but in the latter this is nonsense.

Next
sai7sai
contact avira and ask for a refund if you can not get a older version of premium.
and get another antivirus which does sp2.

north450

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 19th 2006

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 10:26pm

this issue is not closed.
please reopen it

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 10:35pm

@north450,

This is not an issue. The information is provided in accordance with Avira Product Lifecycle.
Also, users have always been advised to upgrade the operating system many years ago.

Issues related to upgrade from Windows XP SP2 to Windows XP SP3 belong to Microsoft Support.
Unfortunately, there is nothing to do here, except be updating the operating system.

Marco

gnagflow

Community member

Date of registration:
Mar 3rd 2006

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
WIN7 U SP1, WIN 8.1

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 10:46pm

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windo…s/service-packs
you can dowmload servicepack 3 for WIN XP from that site
In seinem Lachen liegt der Schl├╝ssel,
mit dem wir den ganzen Menschen entschl├╝sseln

- Thomas Carlyle - 1795-1881 brit. Schriftsteller

north450

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 19th 2006

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 11:00pm

there is another solution switch antivrus programs

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 11:29pm

The best option is always upgrade the operating system and keep the system updated, no matter the antivirus to be installed.
Otherwise, an outdated system, missing a lot of security updates, will let a user at risk.

Marco

north450

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 19th 2006

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 11:31pm

gnagflow

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

you guys are too much
you tell people all sort of things without taking things into consideration
its not your computer so what do you really care.

north450

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 19th 2006

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 11:36pm

The best option is always upgrade the operating system and keep the system updated, no matter the antivirus to be installed.
Otherwise, an outdated system, missing a lot of security updates, will let a user at risk.

Marco

Maybe
Have not done a critical update in 1 year or more.
MY OPINION CRITICAL UPDATES ARE A WASTE OF TIME

marfabilis

Date of registration:
May 14th 2010

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Antivirus Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
System of a Down

Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 11:54pm

Hi north450

Unfortunately, your opinion endangers other Avira users, so please take it to yourself.

Marco

Friday, October 7th 2011, 11:33am

Marco

Maybe
Have not done a critical update in 1 year or more.
MY OPINION CRITICAL UPDATES ARE A WASTE OF TIME

Yep. I run XP Pro SP2 by choice. I looked at SP3 when it came out. I even installed it on a virtual machine running XP Pro SP2. I did not like it and had problems with it and that was only on a virtual machine where I did not have a lot of programs nor did I use that computer heavily as I do the host machine. I removed it from the virtual machine after using it for about two weeks. I decided to not upgrade my host machine. Microsoft does not own me nor does Avira or any software company so important decisions of this nature are mine to make not to be made by a software vendor.

I don't recommend that users ignorant about computers do I what I have done, but for those knowledgeable about computers and computer security, I think the decision to not install a Windows Service Pack should not be ridiculed. My first XP computer came with SP1. I did not upgrade it to SP2 when it was released. I don't believe in taking a major step like that unless your computer is less than about a year old and used lightly. Otherwise, you take greater risk in trying to upgrade the service pack than you do by not upgrading it and forfeiting Microsoft security patches. I know MANY folks who had total disasters trying to upgrade to SP 3 on older, heavily used machines and these are users with Intel processors. Then there is the disaster that befell so many AMD processors users when they tried to upgrade to SP 3.

Ignorant of computer users should go ahead and upgrade regardless of any "extenuating" circumstances because they do risk more by NOT trying to upgrade the service pack because they don't know what they are doing security wise so they cannot take other measures to protect their computers. Those of us who do know how to protect our computers should be left in peace if we have chosen to not upgrade to SP3. I also think Avira should not have dropped support for SP2. I have no interest in Avira past versions 8/9 but if I was interested in 12, I'd just install it anyway...or did Avira play nasty with their installer so that the installer detects SP2 and then refuses to install? If so, that is not admirable of Avira but wouldn't surprise me much given what else has happened with Avira this year. Avira should allow it to be installed for those on XP SP2. Avira does not have to officially support it on that XP Service Pack but they should allow it to install. The Avira I knew and loved so much would have (and did not behave this way before the major changes earlier this year that have resulted in so many saying goodbye to Avira or remaining with 8/9 version (and who will be saying goodbye in January if the license key really does expire then for 8/9).

How come on Fx, this forum now only shows SOME of the posts in this thread when I am replying? That is not good. It should show all posts. It does not show the ORIGINAL Post or post number 2. I suppose it doesn't really matter as I rarely post here now. I'm using Fx 4 (gasp!) not 7. Maybe 7 displays all posts in the thread when replying.
"If you want to do DRM on a PC then you need to treat the user as the enemy." Ross Anderson in "`Trusted Computing' Frequently Asked Questions"

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mele20" (Oct 7th 2011, 11:36am)

north450

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 19th 2006

Friday, October 7th 2011, 10:17pm

Mele20

That is an excellent post.

Elwood

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 6th 2006

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
XP HE Sp3

Saturday, October 8th 2011, 12:58am

I'm running SP3 on AMD64 without problems.
SeaMonkey 2.23
Firefox 26

Saturday, October 8th 2011, 12:33pm

Yeah, just live with all the bugs that are not fixed with Windows XP SP2 and the old system files. Maybe you will never notice them. Every security related software needs system files from the operating system to have a stable base. Filtermanager, winsocket and important windows services are only a few examples that are improved within service packs. Unpatched operating systems or outdated service packs are not supported. Why? It makes no sense to check stability and new bugs without a recent patchlevel because they can be related to already fixed operating system bugs in a recent service pack.

Following your argue users should never install any service pack or critical security related update... and do never ever a program update for fixing issues of any application.
Stefan Berka
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

north450

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 19th 2006

Monday, October 10th 2011, 2:06am

Stefan Berka

how long will version 10 be supported and will that version continue to
support sp2

Monday, October 10th 2011, 8:12am

Yes, Avira Version 10 will continue to work below Windows XP Sp2. There is no end in sight yet. But there will be no product updates anymore, only VDF and Engine updates.
Stefan Berka
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

north450

Community member

Date of registration:
Jan 19th 2006

Monday, October 10th 2011, 9:41pm

Stefan Berka
your quote
There is no end in sight yet.

Do you any idea what date will be.
if one renews license in january 2012 and if you stop VDF and Engine updates
in may 2012 there can be a problem.
thanks

AlfaMS

Community member

Date of registration:
Mar 3rd 2007

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit MC & LinuxMint 16 64 Bit

Monday, October 10th 2011, 9:49pm

As Stefan Berka said: both vdf and engine updates will be available - as they are now eve for versions 8, and 9. Mele20 should be able to confirm this my assumption.
Ceterum censeo Avira Forum non esse delendam.