You are not logged in.

Friday, August 29th 2014, 6:02pm

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "kroolas" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jul 1st 2011

Operating System:
Win7 Ultimate 64 bit

Friday, July 1st 2011, 1:02pm

WebGuard for 64 bit?

Hi

On 29/6 Avira automically installed SP2 (my system: Win7 Ultimate x64). After that I was asked to install Ask toolbar. I did it. Then I noticed that WebGuard is disabled and I could get it working. I tried even to start the servise manualy (not succesfully as there was error "Adcess denied"). I went to the forum and found this sollution:

http://www.avira.com/en/support-for-free…etail/faqid/862

Not working. So, I decided to uninstall Avira completely and try "fresh" installation. I was really surprised as after uninstall my computer lost completely internet connections. I couldn't fix this so I went for system restore via Symantec Ghost.

Restored system works fine. I did update Avira manually. However there is no sign of WebGuard (the same as described by Sanderb11 (http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?pag…threadID=132666)
So, I cannot install WebGuard on my restored system at all.

I have to mention that on my other 2 XP computers installation went perfectly fine and WebGuard works fine.

On the top of that on my nephew's computer with Avira (Win7 Pro x64) after the upgrade, there is a problem with connections and he cannot fix this. Probably he will has to reinstall the system.

So my question are:

1) Do someone experience problems with connections after SP2 update on 64 bit machines?

2) Is WebGuard compatible with 64 bit systems?

akwe-xavante

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 13th 2006

Friday, July 1st 2011, 1:18pm

Hello,

I have had 3 computers so far whereby an Avira WebGuard / Toolbar problem has resulted in not having internet access at all.

The only way i have managed to resolve the problem has been to use system restore. This has happened on WinVista, both 32bit and 64bit so far. So far this hasn't happened on a Win7 box yet, but obviously it can if your experiencing the problem.

When you reinstall Avira you have to perform a Product Update at the mo to get WebGuard and the Toolbar.

Try Performing a Product Upgrade, Update > Start Product Update

The Toolbar as far as i'm aware so far and i've installed it on many 32bit and 64bit WinVista and Win7 boxes so far will only add itself to the 32bit version of Internet Explorer.

The toolbar doesn't install itselve within the 64bit version of Internet Explorer.

I haven't managed to get on roughly 16 64bit versions of IE so i'm assuming at the moment that the toolbar isn't IE 64bit compatible.

Date of registration:
Jul 1st 2011

Operating System:
Win7 Ultimate 64 bit

Friday, July 1st 2011, 11:18pm

Finally I was able to install WebGuard. However it's not working - service stopped. When I tried to start the service manually I get message: "Access denied".

How to fix this?

akwe-xavante

Community member

Date of registration:
Feb 13th 2006

Monday, July 4th 2011, 8:04am

Make sure the Administrative account is present on your logon / welcome screen when you start the computer.

Start > type cmd in the run box, when cmd.exe apears in the list of matches right click on cmd.exe and click on "Run As Administrator"

In the black box type: net user administrator /active:yes

restart your computer into SAFE MODE only

Login using the admin account, (Logging in as a user with administrative priviligeges is not the same)

When logged in...

Start then in the run box type: services

Find Avira WebGuard in the list and change its setting from diabled to Automatic then apply and OK

Restart PC

Remember though that it would apear that the toolbar is not IE 64bit compatible and only apears when using the 32bit version of IE

I'm assuming that your protected with WebGuard regardless of which version of IE we are using.

Job Done

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "akwe-xavante" (Jul 4th 2011, 8:25am)

Date of registration:
Jul 1st 2011

Operating System:
Win7 Ultimate 64 bit

Wednesday, July 6th 2011, 12:05am

Make sure the Administrative account is present on your logon / welcome screen when you start the computer.

Start > type cmd in the run box, when cmd.exe apears in the list of matches right click on cmd.exe and click on "Run As Administrator"

In the black box type: net user administrator /active:yes

restart your computer into SAFE MODE only

Login using the admin account, (Logging in as a user with administrative priviligeges is not the same)

When logged in...

Start then in the run box type: services

Find Avira WebGuard in the list and change its setting from diabled to Automatic then apply and OK

Restart PC

Remember though that it would apear that the toolbar is not IE 64bit compatible and only apears when using the 32bit version of IE

I'm assuming that your protected with WebGuard regardless of which version of IE we are using.

Job Done

Works. Thanks!